Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Obesity Crisis In America: The Plot Thickens.

 Obesity Crisis In America: The Plot "Thickens".(Pun Intended)

 It has been my quest from the beginning : Get each and every American involved in fighting the obesity crisis that faces America.This national threat involves the quality of life of millions of Americans.It cuts deep into the pockets of each and every citizen as medical costs skyrocket.The average American is already footing the bill for all the consequences of the obesity crisis.I found this article on Web MD that describes a plan of action.It might just work if the whole population becomes involved.


New Weight Loss Plan for U.S. Obesity Crisis

Plan Would Cut Fast-Food Ads/Sales, Promote Activity and Healthy Foods
By
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
 http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120508/weight-loss-plan-for-us-obesity-crisis

May 8, 2012 -- Obesity in America is a crisis that threatens national security -- and urgent action is needed, says the Institute of Medicine.
The IOM's plan: Totally change the way Americans approach exercise and nutrition.
How? By asking every single American to become involved, says Daniel R. Glickman, chair of the IOM committee that issued the 478-page plan. Glickman, former secretary of agriculture under President Bill Clinton, is executive director of congressional programs for the Aspen Institute.
"When you have a national epidemic of this size, it is in the hands of every individual to make this happen," Glickman said today in a presentation to the CDC's Weight of the Nation Conference in Washington, D.C.
"When people understand the consequences of not taking action, they will understand," IOM committee member Christina Economos, PhD, of Tufts University, said at the meeting. "This will require bold actions from all sections of society."
The IOM report "issues a blunt, strong challenge that the obesity threat is imminent and enduring to our children and to our nation. It holds everyone accountable," said James Marks, MD, MPH, senior vice president for health at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which funded the IOM study.
Part of this "threat" is economic. The estimated cost of obesity is $190 billion a year in the U.S., Marks said at a news teleconference. And part of the threat is that the two-thirds of Americans who are overweight or obese are at risk of diabetes, cancer, and early death.
What can we do about it? The IOM report spells out a detailed, extensive, and expensive plan. The plan calls for individual, community, school, and workplace action. It also calls on government to confront entrenched interests in revising agricultural subsidies, restricting the advertising of sugared beverages and fast foods, and regulating restaurants that offer calorie-dense foods to children.
"These things all must be done and done now if we are going to roll back this problem," Glickman said. "The question used to be, 'Can we reverse the obesity epidemic?' The question now is, 'Will we?'"

The IOM Obesity Plan

On the face of it, the IOM plan is simple. There are five main goals:
  1. Make physical activity an integral and routine part of life.
  2. Create food and beverage environments that ensure that healthy food and beverage options are the routine, easy choice.
  3. Transform messages about physical activity and nutrition.
  4. Expand the roles of health care providers, insurers, and employers.
  5. Make schools a national focal point.
As usual, the devil is in the details. For each of these broad goals there are distinct proposals. And as committee members made clear, it's an integrated plan. It won't work if policy makers act only on one part and not on others.

Making Americans more physically active includes:
  • Improving communities to create access to places and programs where people can be active in safe, fun ways.
  • Ongoing, high-visibility programs to promote physical activity.
  • Requiring child-care providers to offer 30 minutes of physical activity for each half day of care.
Creating healthy food and beverage environments includes:
  • Ensuring that chain restaurants decrease offerings of calorie-dense foods to children and increase healthy options at competitive prices.
  • Setting nutritional standards for all foods and beverages sold or provided by the government, and ensuring "that these healthy options are available in all places frequented by the public."
  • In low-income communities, limiting the concentration of fast-food restaurants and convenience stores, and encouraging or attracting supermarkets and other healthy-food outlets.
  • The president should create a task force to review agricultural policies, including farm subsidies.
Transforming messages about physical activity and nutrition includes:
  • Federal funding of a sustained program of "culturally appropriate messages aimed at specific audiences." The messages would urge things like taking a daily walk, drinking fewer sugar-sweetened beverages, and learning how to read the new front-of-package nutrition labels.
  • An "or else" threat to the food, beverage, restaurant, and media industries: They must "take broad, common, and urgent voluntary action to make substantial improvements in their marketing aimed directly at children" and teens. If a "substantial majority" of these "marketing standards" have not been met within two years, government should set "mandatory nutritional standards for marketing" to this age group.
  • A single standard nutritional labeling system for all packages and store shelves. Chain restaurants must provide calorie labeling on menus.
Programs to promote physical activity include:
  • Standards of care for health care providers for prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment of overweight and obesity for children, teens, and adults.
  • Requiring health insurers to cover obesity prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment.
  • Encouraging employers to encourage "active living and healthy eating at work."
The focus on schools includes:
  • Changes to federal law to require all schools to have a grade K-12 physical education program with regular proficiency evaluations.
  • State funding of daily physical education at school for all students.
  • Ensuring that schools have strong nutritional programs that shift away from obesity-promoting foods and beverages (sugary beverages, fatty foods) to fruits, vegetables, and high-fiber grains.
  • Teaching kids "food literacy."
Will any of this really happen? Glickman is optimistic.
"We have reached a tipping point," he says. "You see the federal budget deficit, and the biggest part of the problem is health care costs. We can't sustain that. ... We have enough good ideas now about what the right things are to do. And we need to do them all, not just focus on one thing."

3 comments:

  1. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus. Soreness/Injury  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria, Impotence Fertility,Protoplasmic, Diarrhea. Hepatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cystic Fibrosis, Schizophrenia, Crubs, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Cornelia Disease, Weak Erection. Ovarian problem,  HeartBurn, Erysipelas, Thyroid, Relapsing polychondritis,  Discharge from Penis. Bronchial Problem,  HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Smallpox, Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism,  Impotence, thyroid, Autism, Depression,  Sepsis Bacteria,  Penis enlargement, Prostate Problem,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dying in pain and full of heartbreak. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony of herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contacted him to try my luck, we talked and he sent me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cured totally. I don't really know how it happens but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE. Happiness is all I see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I have spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from church to church, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this fateful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, INSOMNIA,  MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,GOUT,  NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, STOMACH DISEASES,  KAWASAKI DISEASES, HALITOSIS, LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN.  VIGOUR.ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2349010754824.  He is a real good and honest man.  
    website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetes,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerBipolar Disorder, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Anal cancer.Appendix cancer.Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer.Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,OsteoporosisAlzheimer's disease,Brain cancer.Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Fibroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com,  ..WhatsApp phone number+ 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete